permaculture - Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] agroforestry discussion list
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 12:30:08 -0500

Marimike6@cs.com wrote:

The arid portions of Texas are a lot like Ethiopia, Sudan and Chad. These regions support millions of peasants on a subsistence basis. So I would think one would start with the growing of appropriate grains like sorghum or millet. The stuff is highly nutritious for both people and animals, and is grown in a number of nutritious varieties for differing conditions. Tastes good, too, when made into injera.

I was talking with someone at Baker Creek Seeds yesterday about permaculture. I noticed that their catalog listed several varieties of cane sorghum, which grows find over much of the South. We discussed grain sorghum and I
realized that I have never heard of any food products made of this offered in
the US.

So, I guess that it can be ground and made into various breads or boiled like
rice or grits.
I also noticed how good my goat feed pellets smelled. This would be barley
and oats.

It would seem that grand mixes of grains, some non-traditional might make really tasty and nutritious breads for daily consumption, homegrown and homemade, of course. A bread mix for the no-wheat people:

millet
barley
sorghum
spelt
kenaf
a little oats
corn
flax seeds

The same might be said of the dryer parts of India. There are no better stewards of the land on this planet than the Bisnoi, who live in the Thar Desert. They have made a successful go of it for the past couple of thousand years, while more modern irrigation schemes have recently salted the place up and damaged the water table in pursuit of rice for the millions. So one is invited to reflect that a tribe of primitives who've never taken a single course in agronomy have come up with superior solutions to those of a board of the highly educated and published PhD's India invited to design their program to "bring the desert to life".

Green Revolution again, unsustainable and greenbacks for only a few.

Not much on the web about them, I suspect. But you could search for a very fine book the Sierra Club published called The Law of the Mother, edited by Elizabeth Kempf (1993).

Sounds like good reading.

> The Bisnoi swear by the virtues of the khejri tree
(Prosopis cineraria) for its wood, shade, edible pods and generally beneficial effect on the arid environment, its people and its wildlife. This is just a "forinstance", and much work needs to be done on finding out what some people have known for thousands of years.