permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fruit trees and swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kevin Topek" <ktopek@houston.rr.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fruit trees and swales
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 17:11:49 -0600

Robert,

Plant the trees downhill of the berm. Then they get watered by precipitation
infiltrating the soil below the swale. Also, the tree roots do not
significantly damage either the berm or the swale. This ensures years of
active service from the earthworks and maximum water for the trees. My wife
and I just gave an all day flooding conference at our city hall today and
this question is germane to my presentation.

Kevin