permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fruit trees and swales

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fruit trees and swales
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 16:20:48 -0500

R Freeman wrote:

Hi all,

In December (southern summer) our neighbour started a fire that destroyed 70
of our 4-year-old fruit trees (almost burned down our house too).

I am going to replace them, but this time I am thinking to put them along
swales (contour banks/ditches). We have a nice, sun-facing slope--the
countours run east-west.

The question I have is whether the the trees should go in the dug-out part
of the swales, uphill of the dug-out part, on the mounds, or downhill of the
mounds.

As close as possible to the lowest point or dug out part in areas where there
will not be standing water for very long or waterlogged soil, i.e. in a well drained area but as close to a source of water as possible.