permaculture - [permaculture] winter mulch Re: Pile On Each Other! re: coniferous mulch-soil results

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] winter mulch Re: Pile On Each Other! re: coniferous mulch-soil results
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:24:09 -0800

A,

Wasn't that you, back when, who advocated gopher fur for a fine winter
mulch...

Peace to you in the Holy Lands,

woo hoo! now we're getting somewhere, what with toby
dissing mother theresa and kat sleeping with larry, we
got's all sorts of edge going now. ps scott tried to
rip me a new one also way back when, when i was
spinning some zone 6 coyote rap on the ibilio list.
check the archives. (you might think, as myself and
others did) that the fumes from his misadjusted
karkelofen were getting to him.

anyway, i'm going to treat the openpc and ibiblio
lists as the same one, mas o menos, since there's
personality issues galore and lot's of the same people
on both of them right now. no major differences that i
can tell.

my one important question though, is why not one of
you on either list has responded to my very reasonable
request for info/experience on growing in coniferous
mulch. i've copied it below in case anyone cares to
actually help grow some food.

remember now, we're alchemists: shit to gold (check
out the Thich Nat Hanh writings on how the flower and
the stinky compost "inter-are")

oh yeah, i was just kidding you know, larry just wote
that kat stayed over his house, i just spun it a bit
for humor(?) cause i know he's got thick skin. and
kat's steele. plus the man advocates gopher defense by
putting their little heads on sticks around the garden
perimeter, old school-stylie.

here' that coniferous mulch-
akiva

---------------

i've harvested a bunch of old mulch from under some
conifers, maybe some sort of cypress, and pine trees
in my yard. it was in a shaded north spot, beautifully
broken down with no visible plants growing in it, so i
moved it 20 meters or so to blanket some recently
sculpted clay-soil terraces. i've transplanted into it
large leafy green veggie plants (kale, collards, etc),
and seeded various grains from seed, egyptian (very
large)
lentils, and plan on seeding other stuff too. so far,
everything seems happy.

is there anything i should know about what will or
won't continue to be happy and produce well in this
type of soil? is it likely acidic, and good for
strawberries? any other planting recommendations?

thanks for any feedback-
akiva
jerusalem