permaculture - [permaculture] list etiquette design

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] list etiquette design
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 18:45:27 -0800 (PST)

As for any other permaculture creation, we could use permaculture design
strategies to come up with an etiquette for the list. Most of us have
already done a lot of observation. But first we need to figure out what our
goals for the list are, and this will give us some parameters for how to
conduct ourselves on the list.

If our goals include having as many people on the list as possible and
encouraging the maximum flow of ideas related to permaculture, then I would
say we should treat everyone with respect, while encouraging heated debate
and the expression of diverse opinions. Personal attacks will only scare
people off the list and suppress opinions and debate. Ongoing personal
attacks and fighting on the list detract from our goals and are a waste of
list space, in my opinion. When I want to get personal with someone on the
list, I always try to do it off the list in private emails.

While some may enjoy and learn from personal attacks and disrespectful
dialogue, this behavior drives many away and most people probably do not
learn to benefit from it. Therefore, I feel it is inappropriate for this
permaculture venue, which seems to be the main permaculture listserv. Those
who glorify such behavior might consider forming their own list, where they
can be as rude as possible. This one is too valuable.

That's what I have to say,

Rain

Yahoo! Mail