permaculture - [permaculture] Urban Model of Post-Peak Sustainability -- URGENT ACTION REQUIRED!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ethan X <livetrii@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, paganpermaculture@yahoogroups.com, rwto@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [permaculture] Urban Model of Post-Peak Sustainability -- URGENT ACTION REQUIRED!
  • Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 21:44:17 -0800 (PST)

The South Central Farm in Los Angeles is an inner-city space
that has been reclaimed for community empowerment &
sustainable agriculture. Now the city and developers are trying to take it
away. If you have friends or family in LA, please send this to them; wherever
you are, call or write to the Mayor's Office & tell Mayor Villarraigosa to
stop the travesty of evicting & bulldozing this family-sustaining 14-acre
farm!

Alert From the LA Indymedia Newswire: Action Alert -EVICTION NOTICE POSTED!!
At South Central Farm
Report: South Central Farmers Phone Tree. Jason Neville | Txtmob
action alerts to save SCFarm! by schock
Background reports: 1 | 2 | 3
Immediate Action Required
to Save Urban Model of Post-Peak Sustainability
by Michael C. Ruppert

© Copyright 2006, From The Wilderness Publications,
www.fromthewilderness.com.
All Rights Reserved. May be reprinted, distributed or posted on an Internet
web site for non-profit purposes only.

March 3, 2006 1130 PST (FTW) - In L.A.’s Havana Experiment From The
Wilderness told you the dramatic and compelling story of what 350 families
have done over a 13-year period with a 14 acre plot of land in a depressed
inner city. They are feeding themselves with organically grown and healthy
produce that requires zero fossil-fuel inputs and requires virtually no
transportation expense. This is being done on soil that was once paved,
covered, depleted and ignored. More than anything else, this is the one area
of effort most essential for America’s (and the world’s) major cities to
pursue as Peak Oil takes its first deadly bites.

Two days ago the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department unceremoniously
posted an eviction notice on the farm’s gate calling for the farm to be
vacated by March 6th (next Monday). That would leave current crops in the
ground to be plowed under by a developer’s bulldozers. The intended
replacement for the farm is a warehouse intended to serve (primarily)
Wal-Mart.

No one has better articulated what is at stake here than USC Professor Clara
Irazábal who today in an impassioned letter to LA Mayor Antonio
Villarraigosa, completed after 3 AM this morning, wrote:
[T]he relevant question is not whether this urban farm should be
preserved. This is the wrong question and one that diminishes the stature of
your office and the trust we have invested in you. The question is, rather,
how can we best help multiply urban farms like this one throughout Los
Angeles and cities of the Americas and the world. As the era of oil
inescapably comes to an end, we are going to be faced with the need, whether
we like it or not, to live more compactly, thrifty, cooperatively, and in
more direct connection with, and responsible for, the production of our own
food. In this context, not only does the South Central Farm not constitute a
backward use of land in one of the largest and more prominent and modern
cities of the world. Instead, it is a model for the future (and the future is
now), one that can support the survival of our growing urban civilization.
Maintaining the South Central Farm, Los Angeles and you as its mayor have the
unique opportunity to become
world visionaries and trail breakers.
Although this posting may appear too late today to get people to show up
for a hastily organized protest at the Mayor’s office, there are a number of
things which must be done immediately to save this incredible experiment; an
experiment that is teaching us how to save hundreds of thousands of lives:
lives of poor people; lives of disenfranchised; lives of those who are not
fortunate enough to move away to an already sustainable region.

The words of Mario Savio ring truer than ever. It is time to throw our bodies
into the gears of the machine and grind it to a halt. Some things are worth
fighting for and if anything is worth fighting for the South Central Farm is.

If you are in Southern California you can do something. If you are anywhere
else, what you can do may be just as important.
In the enclosed links are a sample letter (or email) that can be sent to
Mayor Villarraigoasa’s office. There are contact numbers and links for
additional activism. There are also instructions on how to actually be at the
farm to protest.

If a large enough hue and cry is raised from around the world to focus a
laser-like beam on what is at stake here then there might be time. There
might be a window for a miracle.

I am cutting off this story now because every minute’s delay in getting this
up on FTW’s web site is critical. If you understand Peak oil; if you
understand the miracle that is the South Central Farm; and if you are
committed to preparing the world and your family for Peak Oil then I won’t
have to say more.

There will be many more battles to fight. Let us fight the good fight here
and now, today. Were I in LA I would be there myself, willing to and
encouraging others to engage in civil disobedience, to get arrested, to stop
this travesty. In a ham and eggs breakfast the chicken is involved but the
pig is committed. It’s time to drop everything for a moment, as long as it
takes, to struggle and to pray for the Miracle on 41st Street.

Michael Ruppert
Publisher/Editor
http://www.fromthewilderness.com

Notice of Eviction & sample letter/email for Mayor Villarraigosa
(http://www.fromthewilderness.com/PDF/SCF_eviction_notice.pdf)

South Central Food Farm web site
http://www.southcentralfarmers.com

The South Central Farmers are asking members of the progressive community to
establish phone trees to mobilize activists across the city to defend their
beloved and family-sustaining 14-acre farm at 41st and Long Beach Ave. Please
email your names and phone numbers to join the phone tree: Jason Neville at
nevitate@gmail.com

Save the South Central Farm
http://www.participate.net/node/1183

PetroCollapse and Food Security at the South Central Farm
http://la.indymedia.org/news/2006/02/146380.php

"In the world I see -- you will stalk elk through the damp canyon forests
around the ruins of Rockefeller Center. You will wear leather clothes that
last you the rest of your life. You will climb the wrist-thick kudzu vines
that wrap the Sears Tower, and when you look down, you will see tiny
figures pounding corn and laying strips of venison on the empty car pool
lane of some abandoned superhighway." Fight Club

Reclaim our Commons!
http://ReclaimTheCommons.Net
Reclaim our Future!
http://PeakOilAnarchy.blogspot.com
http://Anthropik.com
http://PostCarbon.org
Reclaim our History!
http://911Truth.org
http://OilEmpire.us
http://GlobalResearch.ca

Yahoo! Mail

  • [permaculture] Urban Model of Post-Peak Sustainability -- URGENT ACTION REQUIRED!, Ethan X, 03/04/2006