permaculture - Re: [permaculture] human powered tools--Some more

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Krista <lightleightread@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] human powered tools--Some more
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 11:29:11 -0800 (PST)

On 1/14/06, Sharon Gordon <gordonse@one.net> wrote:
Other things I'd really like:
Hand powered press for oil seeds to extract oil that
could be used on a variety of seeds
Sunflower seed dehuller Walnut outer shell cracker

On 2/15/06, R Freeman <sunnysidesourdough@gmail.com>
wrote:
Hi Sharon,
Tools I'd like too...
Check out http://kickstart.org/tech_oil.shtml for an
oil press. Looks
like they only sell them in Africa, but if you know
someone going and
they're willing to send you one back...
cheers,
Robert

Robert & Sharon (and anyone else who is interested),

I found online a really informative article with
instructions for creating your own oil press:

The Sunflower Seed Huller and Oil Press
By Jeff Cox
-- from Organic Gardening, April 1979, Rodale Press

"The problem, heretofore, with sunflower seeds was the
difficulty of dehulling them at home, and
the lack of a device for expressing oil from the
seeds. About six months ago, we decided to
change all that. The job was to find out who makes a
sunflower seed dehuller or to devise one if
none were manufactured. And to either locate a
home-scale oilseed press or devise one."

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/oilpress.html