permaculture - [permaculture] wood burning stoves

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Fritz <johnfritz77@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] wood burning stoves
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:31:13 -0800 (PST)

My memory did not serve me well in my previous post on this subject. I
stated that a company by the name of "Central Furnace" made such a stove.
The name of the company I was thinking of is "Woodmaster". Please see below
a reply to an inquiry I made of such stoves.

John Fritz

P.S. Their url is www.woodmaster.com and their phone # is 1-800-932-3629.

At 10:48 PM 6/6/2005, you wrote:

>This question is for Linda . Hopefully an answer
>would be of interest to most on this list: If I
>remember correctly you recently said that your
>homestead has had good results with the WoodMaster
>enamaled wood furnace for the one heating season that
>your family has used it. I presume your purchase was
>based on research of most of the popular manufacturers
>of these types of furnaces. What factors lead you to
>purchase the WoodMaster over the other manufacturers?
>
>Most claim to have excellent warranties (per the ads
>in The Mother Earth News). So, was it upfront cost,
>efficiency, some other factor? Just trying to get
>some inside skinny that would not necessarily be
>provided by the seller.

John- I'm sorry that I can't remember the other two brands we looked at
when we were seriously into the buying stage. We looked at three- all
locally sold and serviced. The Woodmaster ended up being chosen based
mostly on the recommendation of our two sons who are respectively a
mechanical engineer and builder, and a machinist/inventor/engineer. They
looked at things like design, welds, metal thickness, etc.

We (being the ones who have to fill, clean and operate the thing) looked at
things like door size, ease of cleaning, etc.

We all agreed we liked the Woodmaster best. The deciding factor was the
design of the interior of the wood box... it's rounded, rather than square,
and thus has less welded seams to crack or break under temperature changes
or stress. Friends who had earlier models of several brands of outdoor wood
furnaces had the most problem with the seams in the woodboxes failing...
often fairly early in the life of the furnace.

At this point, it's too early to say much except that it heated the house
beautifully, used the same or a bit less wood than we used to use. The
biggest headache was loading 24" wood into the back of the woodbox over a
glowing bed of coals in the front. We're cutting the wood 36" long this
year. Once we filled it up, we were set for a minimum of 24 hours, and in
moderate weather (temps above 0° and/or wind chills above 20 below) it
generally didn't need any tending for 48 hours. In the cool spring days, it
was keeping the house comfortable through chilly nights for close to 5
days on the bed of coals it develops.

You may find other brands in other areas of the country, which weren't
available here. All I can suggest is that you look them over VERY
carefully, inside and out. If at all possible, talk to people who have that
stove and get their opinions. No one item will every please every person. YMMV

Linda NY, USA

Message: 1