permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 36, Issue 59

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "dheritage@juno.com" <dheritage@juno.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 36, Issue 59
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 01:52:56 GMT

Someone wrote -

> I want to burst this bubble.
>
> > In the best case scenario, petroleum to ethanol ratio was 0.8 : 1.0
when
> everything was taken into account.

>From what I've read the latest research indicates that ethanol production
>from corn has a positive conversion ratio. According to -

http://www.ethanol-gec.org/corn_eth.htm

“We show that corn ethanol is energy efficient as indicated by an energy
ratio of 1.24.”

And according to -
http://bioenergy.ornl.gov/papers/misc/grass95.html

One acre of corn grain contains 50 million BTU and requires 7.6 million BTU
to produce, for an energy output/input ratio of 6.6. When the corn stover is
included, the energy efficiency ratio improves to 8.8.

In comparison, switchgrass will produce 20.6 times the energy required to
produce it if it is transported directly to the ethanol plant. The higher
ratio for switchgrass occurs largely because it is a perennial (remaining in
production for ten years or more before replanting) and because of its lower
chemical and fertilizer requirements.

  • Re: [permaculture] permaculture Digest, Vol 36, Issue 59, dheritage@juno.com, 01/31/2006