permaculture - Re: [permaculture] humuns aren't going extinct any time soon

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Loren Davidson" <listmail@lorendavidson.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] humuns aren't going extinct any time soon
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:54:59 -0800

From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:17:18 -0800 (PST)

>Although I sympathize with pretty much every view about the future of Earth,
>our species, and the worth of practicing permaculture and trying to change
>society (see Heather's recent comments [heather@ecoversity.org]), I think it
>is a kind of generational arrogance to think that we are going to go extinct
>any time soon. It's always possible, but history doesn't support this idea.

Over a span of a few thousand, or even ten thousand years, you'd be right.

However, human existence is but an eyeblink in geologic terms, which
encompasses *billions* of years and the evolution and extinction of more
species than we can conceive of. I'd submit it's equally arrogant to claim we
*can't* go extinct, simply because it hasn't happened yet.

> One of the main points of the Bhagavad Gita is to make your best effort in
> life without attachment to the results.

This I also agree with. Regardless of whether our lives and species end in
the next eyeblink, the next century, or five billion years from now when the
Sun goes nova, find what is vital for you to be doing, and in the words of
St. Nike, "Just Do It." :)

Loren

Signup at www.doteasy.com