permaculture - [permaculture] humuns aren't going extinct any time soon

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] humuns aren't going extinct any time soon
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:17:18 -0800 (PST)

Although I sympathize with pretty much every view about the future of Earth,
our species, and the worth of practicing permaculture and trying to change
society (see Heather's recent comments [heather@ecoversity.org]), I think it
is a kind of generational arrogance to think that we are going to go extinct
any time soon. It's always possible, but history doesn't support this idea.
Read Jared Diamond's Collapse. Even when societies wind down and diminish in
power and compexity, people survive. Even in some of the most extreme cases,
like on Easter Island or with the Anasazi in the Southwest, a few people
survive and/or move somewhere else. Granted, there really isn't a somewhere
else anymore and the problems we have are on an unprecendented scale. But
enough people are likely to survive any catastrophe that what we do now could
have an impact on how things turn out. One of the main points of the
Bhagavad Gita is to make your best effort in life without attachment to the
results.
If it's beautiful, just do it.

Rain

Yahoo! Autos. Looking for a sweet ride? Get pricing, reviews, & more on new
and used cars.