permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Question on LLDPE pond/tank liners

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: andrew phillips <greenman124@yahoo.com>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Question on LLDPE pond/tank liners
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:42:07 -0800 (PST)

Re: Pond Liners.

I run a small stone and garden biz in Brooklyn and
have built back yard ponds using EPDM 40 ml rubber
liner material. It comes in various sizes/rolls and
can be patched and glued to comport with your pond
dimensions. Its supposed to be guaranteed to last 20
years or more. Essentially it is thick rubber and more
difficult to shape than the material you are
describing. When installing rubber you need to let it
warm in the sun to increase its flexibility.

You need to underlay behind the EPDM liner and I use
old carpet which is thicker than store bought liners.
The liner protects the rubber from punctures from
small stones etc. When placing stones IN the pond you
probably should place a strip of EPDM under the stone
to double the thickness to protect the primary liner.

If you want to create a biologically sustainable pond
using artificial liners I'm not sure if this works
'cause I've never done that but I bet it will.
Oxygenation and moving water will be key.

Check out www.waterford-gardens.com - they service
high-end watergardens in New York tri-state area. They
will answer questions and UPS you the materials.

http://www.hancockpermaculture.org
http://www.stoneandgarden.net
917-771-9382