permaculture - Re: [permaculture] the seedball episode

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] the seedball episode
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 10:03:09 EST

Everyone should take this sorry episode as a guide to future behavior on the
part of urban police forces in America. They get very edgy when "activists"
show up to demonstrate in the face of official conferences and gatherings,
such
as WTO and World Bank meetings.

Do not hold flowers, for instance, when confronted by the police. Imagine
yourself booked and processed by a nervous young fellow ready to swear you
were
"brandishing a flower in a threatening manner". Assault on an officer can be
serious charge-- even if the behavior itself clearly was not. Signs, being
made of cardboard on a stick, clearly are intended as weapons in the minds of
such people. So for your own safety, please demonstrate barehanded.

Check out how the Flying Rutabagas fared when they came to St. Louis to
demonstrate:

<< May 20, 2003

Circus Incarcerated! 5/17/2003

Flying Rutabaga greetings from St. Louis,
Our bike circus recieved a warm welcome from two collective houses here in
St. Louis. The police, however, have not been so inviting. An enterage from
our
Flying Rutabaga Cycle Circus embarked from our housing Friday morning
destined
to present themselves at Biodevistation 7, a counter-conference to the
Monsanto-sponsered World Agricultural Forum. We were scheduled to announce
our
mission to Caravan Across The Cornbelt, a 30 day, 1000 mile circus tour from
St.
Louis to DC. At 9:10am, the circus embassadors were stopped by a police van,
questioned about their intentions of riding as a group, and asked to comply
with
a search of their bike circus trailers. Four more squad cars arrived, and the
9 clowns were hand-cuffed, taken to jail, and charged with operating a
bicycle
without a license. For 8 hours the Flying Rutabagas entertained themselves as
only they know how: singing, clowning, telling stories, and playing "finger
toss". Denied access to lawyers, food, water, and phone calls, we waited
until
the police sorted out their justification for our arrival there. Eventually,
the officers informed us we would not be able to get our bikes back unless we
could prove ownership, that we would have to return for a court date, and
that
we smelled bad. More activists arrived, one man taken directly off the
sidewalk and charged with "public protest". The bicycle licence infraction
was
dropped, and we were instead given traffic infractions and court dates. Our
bikes,
they said, were waiting in the garage, and we could take them with us.
Missing
items from the confiscated bikes: pocket knives, two circus organizational
notebooks, one Appetite Rope Walker puppet. After our release, we learned
that
our hosts in town, a collective for five years called The Bolozone, was
raided
and all occupants were arrested. The clowns were taken from a fully
functioning
home with running water to a delapitaded old jailhouse with no running water
and no phones. All bikes within the Bolozone were seized. Our entire Flying
Rutabaga Cycle Circus, our hosts and other guests had been jailed within one
half hour. The fifteen from the raid were kept overnight in jail. On the
news,
police laid out a table full of "weapons-in-progress" such as roofing nails,
newspaper juggling pins, a whip, circus gear for fire twirling, and a poorly
assembled napkin tucked into a bottle. Saturday we were together again, and
will
spend our time not rehearsing, but following legal matters, persuing housing
options, reviving our food and equipment resources, and getting around town
on
half the number of bicycles, public transport and borrowed cars. We are
unable
to leave St. Louis until our materials are recovered. We are unable to ride
bikes without feeling anxious. Today, (Sat.) we are making fun out of
difficult
work. We hope to leave this incident behind us and not encounter problems for
ourselves or our hosts down the route. Luckily, we have much support here
locally, legally, and physically clothing and housing the pajama-clad clowns
who
emerged from jail this morning. All our resourses are being drawn into play
spread the word about our situation. We are eagarly awaiting the tour, and
voicing out against genetically modified food, and celebrating local organic
sustainable agriculture. If you feel compelled to tell St. Louis to release
the
bicycles from custody and let us begin our mission to Caravan Across The
Cornbelt, we humbly request your assistance.
Please contact Chief Joe Mokwa at 314-444-5624 or the Mayor's office at
314-622-3201 and tell them to release the bikes and return the Bolozone as
soon as
possible. >>

http://www.biodev.org/caravan/archives/000086.php

And this...