permaculture - Re: [permaculture] uses for bamboo

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] uses for bamboo
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 19:34:50 -1000

Aloha,

How many years old are the culms?

What species?

If the culms are 3 yrs old or less they will not be very durable (relative to your climate of course).

If they are not a known structural species I wouldn't use them for anything structural unless it's a complete experiment and nobody will be at risk if it fails.

All I'm saying (besides 'give peace a chance' ;-) is don't put a lot of effort into doing something with them that they're not durable or mature enough for. Find that out first and then dig through the thousand+ possibilities... :-)

cheers,
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services