permaculture - [permaculture] gravity -fed, low pressure drip irrigation systems

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] gravity -fed, low pressure drip irrigation systems
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 11:08:14 -0600

Hello Everyone,

This is a foloow up email iwth the results I've come to. Thanks everyone
for your input and help. I found a set of micro sprayers that operate at as
low as 4.5 psi. The flow rate at 4.5 psi is about 5 gallons per hour. The
spray pattern is only about 2 feet in diameter, but it works for me. The
sprinkler is mounted on a 13 inch stake, but can be mounted lower if
desired. I've tested quite a few of the many micro sprinkers out there and
very few can operate at this low a psi. A 10 foot drop is neede to get a
4.33 psu pressure. The micro sprinklers are from Antelco, and I am
purchasing them from www.irrigationmart.com. I am sure they are available
in other places.

After doing some experinements with clay pots, burlap bags, etc. We've
concluded this is the most cost effective and simplest method given our
situation. I know, I know, plastics won't be available forever, but as long
as they are it works for me.

Good luck out there!

Marjory