permaculture - Re: [permaculture] (no subject)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sustain_ability@123mail.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] (no subject)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2005 15:39:34 -0500

Practical and productive. Thank you.
Last mid-April, I optimistically planted some chestnut seedlings that
had nicely sprouted in the city apartment but all three died because of
the cool and water-logged earth (I used row cover, but the above ground
temp. wasn't the real problem). The microclimate has always been a
challenge to conventional gardening.

George

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005 14:03:37 -0500, "Scott Vlaun"
<scott@moosepondarts.com> said:
> George,
>
> We have a somewhat similar site in western Maine. We piled what
> little topsoil we had into raised beds on contour, utilized south and
> east facing microclimates and lots of coldframes and rowcover. Piled
> a lot of rocks too. Lime, compost, heavy mulches and covercrops have
> sweetened up the soil, worms have come, and the crops have improved
> yearly. We plant lots of cold hardy greens and root crops which
> extends the season for food harvesting well beyond frost free dates.
> We also rely on some fish-based fertilizer for heavy feeding crops.
> We could do more with storing water, but we have a reliable well, so
> it's not our top priority.
>
> Good luck with it.
>

> Scott Vlaun
> Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
> Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future
>
> 35 Moose Pond Road
> Otisfield, Maine 04270
> 207-739-2409 Studio
> 207-890-4099 Cell
-- A huge part of the illusion surrounding the cheap oil era is that the only
alternative to modernity is the stone age.

http://www.mogiljansky.tk/ (please ignore the yahoo email address)
sustain_ability@123mail.org