permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Straw bale urinals

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Straw bale urinals
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 09:22:29 +1100

I've had a composting urinal operating for the past 8 years using a medium
sized garbage bin 2/3rds filled with sawdust or wood shavings which gets
emptied onto a dedicated compost heap. The compost heap had a deep bed of
dry straw down before the first urinal was emptied. To reduce odours we
rinse out the bin after its been emptied and broadcast ag lime around the
sides and base of the container before refilling it with fresh dry
shavings/sawdust. (Can also use wood ash instead of lime) Makes great
compost. BTW most women can comfortably squat over the medium-sized bin
without requiring a seat, the main issue is with use of toilet paper to dry
the drips.

Robyn