permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Claudia Joseph <permie@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Horses in permaculture
  • Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:53:56 -0500

Hi,
Horses do not "basically take care of themselves". They are wonderful but not so bright when it comes to self preservation. They will eat grain to the point of illness, given the opportunity. They do better with some grain in the winter, not just grass. Their feet need trimming to remain healthy. They need worming regularly. And there are several diseases - such as west Nile virus - that it is wise to vaccinate against. When it is cold, make sure they are drinking their water or they can colic and die. A dead horse is a very big experience. One horse is lonely - they are herd animals and like to live in a group or have at least one other horse for company - sometimes they will buddy up with a chicken or goat.

They are wonderful for getting around on a piece of land quietly and yes, they can teach much. They can be quite unpredictable and even dangerous for a beginner. A romantic and impressive animal, they present many challenges.

Manure is an abundant resource both in the city and country. Here in Brooklyn it is free for the taking and we use it to heat up the compost in the winter. If you have very many horse and put them in a barn - which they seem to appreciate - you will have a huge pile of manure in no time. Anyone know what to do with that big pile? It is a problem for many horse owners and they pay to have it hauled away if they don't have room to compost it. We used to sell it for $1 a bag when I was a kid. Sometimes farmers come and get it. You need about an acre of land for each horse. Horses won't graze over their own manure so if they are always out you might need more space than that. Rotating fields is useful in preventing depletion and compaction of the land. Also, remember to give them a salt block - they need it.

I love horses and I have seen the down-side too. Ask any questions, I like talking about them.
Happy trails,
Claudia