permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [permalearnersuk] IPC8

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Graham <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: Andy Langford <andylang@gn.apc.org>
  • Cc: "Permaculture Magazine, Maddy Harland" <maddy@permaculture.co.uk>, Permaculture Association <office@permaculture.org.uk>, PermaLearners <permalearnersuk@yahoogroups.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Permaculture UK list <permaculture_uk@yahoogroups.co.uk>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [permalearnersuk] IPC8
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 23:46:42 +0100

How do we get there without using up our lifetimes supply of carbon points????

Andy Langford wrote:

IPC 8 Invitation letter

Boa Vista do Ramos, Amazonas, Brazil
September 8th 2005

To the many members of the world Permaculture community

I would like to honor and thank the members of both the Danish and Croatian Permaculture Associations and the larger European Permaculture community that made IPC 7 such a wonderful gathering. In particular I would like to salute the venerable Tony Anderson whose strength of purpose and generalship reincarnated the IPC event after so many years of dormancy.

The traditional rotation between continents has positioned South America as next in line for hosting IPC 8. During plenary vote in Croatia in June 2005, Brazil was officially selected as its next venue. The event, as decided, will be held in May of 2007.

As the international project coordinator for Permacultura America Latina (PAL), which is the coordinating body for the Rede Permacultura do Brazil (RPB), I will be assuming the role of IPC 8 coordinator. Permit me to confirm that this event will be held as stated and I look to your help and experience for guidance.

During the last two months, and aside from the standard Convergence program, various themes for the Conference have been bandied around and one that has been consistently responded to has been the issue of Green Economics. With the condition of the world monetary system increasingly uncertain the opportunity to devote several days to the full array of topics represented by this theme, has, arguably, arisen. In short, we have before us the opportunity to hoist the banner of Permaculture on an International Economics Conference.

Green Economics also represents an opportunity to engage the Latin American private sector, particularly in light of so much of the planet’s remaining natural resources concentrated on this continent. With so many sustainable development plans already being assembled to plunder these irreplaceable resources, it hardly needs explaining the urgency to clarify green economic misconceptions and clarify inevitable possibilities. After all, at present, the bankers have most of us by the balls.

Australian permaculturists have offered to set up an IPC website as the technological mechanism for communications. The US Credit Union has offered its service and even possible funding. Previous IPC event organizers have likewise confirmed promises to provide whatever information and assistance may be available.

For my part I am poised to begin the proposal and fundraising process and other foundations have offered to participate. Specifically the Swiss based Avina Foundation has offered to convene a pre conference gathering in early 2006 to articulate the final Conference agenda.

Thus my friends I leave it to you to provide some feedback as soon as possible to justify both my personal and institutional resolve and reach that point of no return.

I remain, as always, moist and tropically yours

Ali Sharif

ahmadalisharif@yahoo.com