permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Black Locust propagation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: William Genest <genest@pivot.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Black Locust propagation
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 03:13:03 -0400

Also fabulous fire wood - super hot burning
Also, thorns can be used to advantage to keep predators out and livestock in ...

On Sep 15, 2005, at 6:56 PM, dwoodard@becon.org wrote:

Black locust of the right size makes really good long lasting fence posts.

The flowers are good for nectar and therefore honey. I understand that
a selection (variety "semperflorens") from Europe, said to bloom for six
weeks, is preferred for honey.

I have read of a study in Wisconsin which showed much better growth of
pine trees planted with black locust due to the nitrogen fixed.

I have also read that Russian work showed better growth of poplars planted
with caragana. I might prefer caragana to black locust. I understand that
poultry can eat caragana seeds; black locust seeds are toxic but I don't
know if some creatures can eat them - probably, but I don't know what.

Black locust has fairly short thorns. It's honey locust that has the big
(several inches) narrow spikey ones, and big long seed pods

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada