permaculture - [permaculture] dealing with hard ground

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "lynnann" <lynnann@newnorth.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] dealing with hard ground
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 17:17:23 -0500

Absolutely...when you can't go down.....go UP...(I lived in Southern Illinois
for many years and did only container and raised be gardens).

The older I get...the deeper/higher my raised beds get....way less back
strain and I can control the quality of what my plant babies grow in.....and
believe me...they thank me. I also get to look at them at a more "eye to
eye" level.

We have wonderfully well drained sand here...so much of our gardening is in
"trench" gardens or container gardens. Here at my garden center...my
container veggie examples are robust and huge...my ground veggie examples is
pathetic. My trench garden is wonderful and my raised bed gardens are the
most beautiful of all.

Now...that said...one thing folks up here in zone 3 (sometimes 2ish) have to
remember is...mulch mulch mulch (my mantra) for winter....raised beds don't
have MOM's warmth that protects our plant friends that are planted in the
ground (although I mulch them as well)...so we have to give the raised beds
extra blankets and I even mulch the sides of my raised beds with straw bales.
I have endless supplies of composted shredded hardwood...it turns even the
sand into exquisite loamy growing material.

It sounds like you do have a wonderful gardening area...go for it...love and
peace...lynnann

  • [permaculture] dealing with hard ground, lynnann, 09/14/2005