permaculture - [permaculture] cats, mice, frogs, earwigs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa in Oregon <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] cats, mice, frogs, earwigs
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 10:20:50 -0700 (PDT)

We have outdoor cats (down to one) to catch mice/rats, with only
partial success. (The cats don't do much against birds, at least birds
are still a problem in the orchard). We also have terrible earwigs in
spring, making some crops like beans very difficult to start.

Do cats catch frogs and lizards? We see a rare frog in this dry area,
and it's been some years since I saw a lizard or snake. And do frogs
and lizards eat earwigs?

I've heard it said that outdoor cats are "bad", but we'd like the
keep the mouse/rat population down. But if they're indirectly keeping
the earwig population up, it would be worth the extra effort of using
traps rather than cats.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs