permaculture - Re: [permaculture] JAPANESE BEETLES

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] JAPANESE BEETLES
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:18:35 -0500

I found that guineas love Japanese beetles and walked down the rows in the garden eating them off the plants. That was in Ohio. I also put out traps, but cut the bottom of the trap bag and attached a large plastic cup to the bottom of the bag. When it was full, daily, I poured the beetles into another cup in the refrig. The next morning I would take them out and feed them to the chickens. I poured them in shallow water and the chickens very quickly learned to come running when I did. The chill treatment and the shallow water kept them from getting away before they were eaten. Not a good way to get rid of them, but at least a way to take advantage of them as a protein source!!! Hope it helps!

Here in the Ozarks I have MILLIONS of another green beetle, like Japanese, but bigger. It the grub problem that is worst with them. Moles come with the grubs. The grubs are so thick under mulched peach trees that it looks like worm maure fertilizer. I also put down milky spore realizing it takes a while to work. Anybody know what kind of beetle this is???

Thanks, Lisa, in the Ozarks, USA

----- Original Message ----- From: <FourPoint7Acres@aol.com>