permaculture - Re: [permaculture] taproot shrubs and perenials

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] taproot shrubs and perenials
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:43:24 -0800 (PST)

Anybody?

I know that rhubarb has a deep taproot.

I've heard that comfrey has a deep taproot.

I read somehwere that sainfoin has a taproot 2-3 times deeper than alfalfa.
And as a
bonus, it's a legume! The downside for me is that it does not grow on acidic
soil.

Of course there are the oaks, pecans, hickories, walnuts, chestnuts and paw
paw with
taproots.

I would think that guilds would be one of the cornerstones of permaculture
and everybody
would have their favorite taproot plants.

Can anybody name a few shrubs or perennials with deep taproots?