permaculture - Re: [permaculture] solar fence charger

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Dennis Argall <dennisargall@bigpond.com>
  • To: DSIRIP01@shepherd.edu, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] solar fence charger
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:44:32 +1000

David

I have had a combo solar panel, battery, energiser for 15 years, and it has been through flood and neglect and abuse and hung in all sorts of places. I am happy to report that while the battery has been replaced ($A20 or so in Australia) a few times, the rest has remained in business and fires away well.

I would look for something which is readily available, a combined unit, just enough power for the job, easliy handled, easily switched off when you want to adjust the fence (very often). A secret of battery life is keeping earthing opportunities from the net, checking every few days at least. Chickens have a habit of raking vast heaps of mulch onto the bottom wires! Reducing earthing reduces the emptying of the battery overnight - well, if you had a NiCad battery that would be OK perhaps, but with simple lead acid, that wears the battery out.

cheers

Dennis
www.aplaceof.info