permaculture - [permaculture] Village Design Course

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "E.Christopher Mare" <ecmare@antiochsea.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org, ecobalance@lists.ecovillage.org, bellinghampermacultureclub@yahoogroups.com, outbackcommunity@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [permaculture] Village Design Course
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 21:45:18 -0500

Please excuse any cross-postings. Have a wonderful Spring!

The Village Design Institute presents:

~ EcoVillage Design Course at Bodhi Creek Farm ~
27-31 July, 2005

Come join us for a transdisciplinary, multidimensional exploration of what
may be the most important and pressing issue of our time – how to design
and implement truly sustainable human habitat.

The full-featured “ecovillage” – whether urban, suburban, or rural – holds
the most promising vision for a sustainable future: 1) it is symbiotic
with the local ecology; 2) it is grown to a scale that can embody lively
social culture; 3) it achieves measures of self-reliance through an
internal economy; and, 4) it can be a supportive setting for creative
growth and transformation. Some call it a step forward in planetary
evolution.

Bodhi Creek Farm is nestled in the luxurious, verdant, Cascadian
foothills. The stewards there are developing a real ecovillage – in this
case, a sustainable education and retreat center complete with attached
‘co-housing’ residential units.

At the Design Course, we’ll set up a Design Studio right there on site,
and, working in design teams, go through the holistic integrated
ecovillage design process – producing useful and constructive design
proposals for our ‘clients’ while enjoying a fun and valuable educational
experience by all. This is applied, experiential, action learning at its
best!

In this particular course we’ll also be thinking across the fence line:
including adjacent properties in the valley – economically, socially, and
ecologically – into a clustered, full village-scale arrangement. We think
this is the key to retrofitting for sustainable (i.e., post-carbon)
culture.

The Village Design Institute is an educational nonprofit collaborating on
innovative curricula and programs internationally. You can count on a
world-class sustainable community design experience, suitable for
professionals and enthusiasts alike.

Registration:
$200 – 3-day weekend Design Studio, 29-31 July, 2005
$300 – Design Studio + Optional 2 additional days preparatory classroom
time, 27-28
July – 5 days total!
20% discount if paid in full by 1 July 2005

Registration includes camping, resource materials, + 3 delicious meals a
day.

  • [permaculture] Village Design Course, E.Christopher Mare, 03/24/2005