permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: trees for ponds....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: trees for ponds....
  • Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 01:13:20 -0500

If it dumps dead twigs, no problem. If it drops green twigs, then each one that falls into the pond can root and make a new tree. I once used a few yards of freshly chipped willow branches in a client's landscape in dry California and we ended up removing baby willows by the hundreds a few months later. Squirrels often prune twigs out of trees as do some birds. Most species its not an issue. Willows.....watch out. And I love willows.

Paul Wheaton wrote:

Paul - In reference to the use of willows around ponds, I've been told that
a problem with them is the amount of seasonal shedding of twigs.dylan

??? So they dump loads of twigs? I suppose they float ... I take it that
people see
that as a problem because it plugs the outlet?

Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 1209
Black Mountain, NC 28711