permaculture - Re: [permaculture] http://www.permacultureactivist.net/

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] http://www.permacultureactivist.net/
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 14:47:14 -0500

Thanks to all who offered suggestions to improve the Permaculture Activist site. It has just undergone a rigorous 6 day revamp process to simplify and condense it substantially with fewer and smaller graphics.

The process is not complete yet. I still intend to add a Paypal shopping cart to the books and subscription pages, and links so folks can make donations (Peter and I are struggling to pull together the funds to attend the IPC7 and a little capital input would make it easier for me to improve the site even further).

I will be breaking up the large pages into smaller pages and adding more articles from past issues (stay tuned).

I've added a search engine function to the site (but may replace it with a more eco-friendly search engine. Any recommendations?)

The menu bar has been shrunk a bit, but I aim to install unfolding ("drop-down") features. Anybody have a good java script for this? I bought a program to help me do this but when I uploaded the menu I started getting messages from folks who said it crashed their machines or took forever to download the page.

The Directories still have large gaps in them, states and countries with no contacts (I know they're out there), so help from y'all in finding them would be much appreciated.

I've started designing a Homeplanet Security / Defense page and am still imagining what might go there. Helpful hints, links?

Any other pages / directories you'd like to see?

Replies to Sean below:

- permaculture based web merchant solution, such as
what pay pal provides. This would be a big win for a
business such as the Permaculture Credit Union.

If PCU got into web merchant support that would be very cool. I'd sign up right away (we pay $9 a month now). I already got their credit card and I enjoy being able to choose it over my other cards.

- a greater exchange of expertise, as paypal has a
free toolkit addressing these needs (same concept as an affiliate program).
There must be a good number of folks on this list managing websites ('How many', he wondered.) We could have a listserv / chat / forum / blog thingie to help support each other. Who's interested?

- a system of reciprocal hosting agreements to enhance
the availability of permaculture web sites.

Yeah, more of that.

- a library of scripts to assist less technically
sophisticated members of the community to host more
web sites and gain a financial harvest, reducing the
burden from the greater economy.

I could create some pages for that with some help from y'all.

- standardization of goods, services, and monetary
exchanges that further the permaculture cause by
enabling asset poor communities to become established
(hosting the PFAF database for instance, or simply
exchanging seeds and seedlings for HTML work). This
is what I am trying to do with my site, albeit slow
moving. The idea could be likened to a permaculture
eBay.

A permaculture Ebay.....is that something PCU could do? Another org? PcA? Hmmmmmm. Suggestions?

Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 1209
Black Mountain, NC 28711