permaculture - Re: [permaculture] trees and ponds

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] trees and ponds
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:51:48 -0500

If you weren't so close to Canada I would have recommended bamboo. Since that is not an option I would explore other tall grasses. Other than that I would recommend that you make a more linear contour type pond and plant just below the retainment dams or create arched trellises over them with squash or other vines on them. How big is the pond you were planning?
Keith

Paul Wheaton wrote:

I'm preparing to dig several ponds this year to raise trout. I'm on the west
slope of
the rocky mountains about 50 miles south of the Canadian border.

I know that one of the big rules is to never plant trees on a dam.
I also know that if you want the pond to be cool (which trout require) it is
wise to
plant trees on the south side of the pond.
What if the dam is on the south side?

I suppose one could plant a tree that has a lot of spreading habbit and plant
those at
the dam edges. Any suggestions on what variety of tree that might be?

I suppose that would be a really good place to build a dock.
Any suggestions?

Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 1209