permaculture - RE: [permaculture] CNN.com - Cow power helps light Vermont - Jan 18, 2005

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] CNN.com - Cow power helps light Vermont - Jan 18, 2005
  • Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 19:06:39 -0800

Does anyone have experience living with/near one of these large-scale
methane digester/generator facilities? One is being proposed for our area
and while the overall concept is very appealing, I can't imagine there isn't
a possible downside to these facilities, especially as they increase in size
and/or decrease in management competency. So far, all the research I find
paints an exceedingly rosy picture of having a methane digester/generator as
part of any large animal ag scene.

Are there any negative ramifications to these facilities? And if so, can
these be mitigated with proper planning?

If anyone knows of any research done into the long-term pos/neg results of
adding these systems to the environment (especially floodplain), I'd love to
hear about it.

Thanks.

Kate Halstead
Monroe, WA