permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David Neeley <dbneeley@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:29:43 -0600

Lawrence,

I, for one, have no objection whatever.

FreeBSD (and the other "flavors" of BSD) is fine. However, with the
tremendous focus on Linux development, it represents a constant "hot
bed" of development beyond what the BSD folks can produce.

That said, Free BSD has a well-deserved reputation for stability and
is the choice of quite a few folks who have mission-critical servers,
for example. Last I heard, for instance, Yahoo was run on it...

Both Linux and the BSD variants share many worthwhile innovations over
time, anyway. For example, the networking stack in Linux originated on
BSD.

Dedicating an older machine to running Linux is surely a popular step
for many. However, I also believe that it is quite worthwhile to set
up a primary machine in a dual-boot configuration so you may do some
direct performance comparisons using a single platform. For example,
when you find out how much faster it is to do your Web surfing on
Linux, you may find as I did that becomes your preferred web platform.

In addition, there are many "eye candy" kinds of interface options
available that run much better with ample memory and CPU cycles
available. These are by no means necessary, but it can be fun to
compare them with Windows--again on the same machine.

For example, I remember vividly some screen shots of a system that had
a totally Gothic desktop...with very ornate window frames and a Gothic
castle theme in the background.

There are many different desktop "themes" downloadable from
www.kde-look.org, among others.

For example, you can have your desktop look like a dead ringer for a
Windows 9.x box:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=12598&file1=12598-1.png&file2=12598-2.png&file3=12598-3.png&name=kde+win9x+full

Or maybe you like the Mac OSX look:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=153&file1=153-1.jpg&file2=&file3=&name=Acqua

Or perhaps something quite different:
http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=19045&file1=19045-1.png&file2=19045-2.png&file3=&name=Crystal+Color-GL

http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=5254&file1=5254-1.jpg&file2=&file3=&name=Transilvania-Windeco

Or even to be a clone of other, less common operating systems (in this
case, QNX):
http://www.kde-look.org/content/preview.php?preview=1&id=3414&file1=3414-1.jpg&file2=3414-2.jpg&file3=&name=QNX+Theme

The point is that with Linux, *you* are in control of the way your
computer looks and how it acts. Once you get a taste of what it is
like to have a wide variety of choices in computing, you may find
yourself "getting the bug" for sure...

David