permaculture - Re: [permaculture] belated bentonite pond answer (7-26-04)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] belated bentonite pond answer (7-26-04)
  • Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:52:57 -0500

When I needed bentonite in quantity I aquired it from well drillers (who pump it down the bore hole to prevent the sides of the well from collapsing). Be forewarned that when wet it has a consistency and stickiness similar to snail slime (which is VERY sticky). Aplication techniques range from tilling the dry material into the bottom of the drained, and ideally dry, pond, or, if the pond has water in it, dumping it dry out of the back of a small motorboat and agitating it very thoroughly before letting it settle. I think the tilling approach would yield superior results. The volume, of course, would depend on the size of the pond.
Keith

Albert Postema wrote:

We are reclaiming an old pond which is full of alders and will need something to plug up the bottom of the pond. Our neighbors' ponds slowly drain throughout the summer so we probably need something to seal the bottom and would like to avoid having to buy a huge piece of plastic (future garbage). Does anyone have any experience with or information about sealing large ponds with bentonite? If bentonite is a good way to go does anyone have any leads on where I might find some in western Washington?
Thanks!
Anne Erlandson

--
Keith Johnson