permaculture - Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Tradingpost" <tradingpost@gilanet.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] self-sufficiency
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:02:40 -0600

Then here's some more thoughts. No doubt, if NY population was spread out
thinly over New England and put in McMansions on country estates, it would be
far more wasteful of resources. But without more than anecdotal evidence I
won't press that density issue. We just don't have enough hard information.

>urban and rural people, living the way we do
>now, both have similar demands and require the same services from
>infrastructure (my rural neighbors all shopped at Wal-Mart). That
>infrastructure can be built and maintained with less embedded and expended
>resources per person when people live more densely.

Unless I heard wrong, permaculture isn't about the way we live now but the
way we should live. If we're looking for sustainability then we could
consider less wasteful rural arrangements - instead of comparing NY to the
most wasteful rural arrangements, i.e., typical energy-hogging country
estates. Even without the McMansions, long paved roads, individual septic
tanks, and cable aren't usually considered the most efficient or sustainable
use of resources. Nor is an hour's drive to and from work every day.

For people in the concrete jungle it may be hard to see beyond the city
limits. Where I live most all-weather roads are not paved, or do they need
to be. Code allows alternatives to $5,000 septic tanks which waste enormous
amounts of pure drinking water (scarce water I might add). Satellite TV is
the norm and not cable (though I don't have and don't want TV). And here
almost nobody drives an hour to and from work. They have work right here.
And almost none of us slave away as cogs in the corporate machine.

The basic flaw in packing people in like sardines is, people need to live out
there on the land to be good stewards of the land. That's a fundamental
premise of permaculture.

paul@largocreekfarms.com
http://medicinehill.net