permaculture - [permaculture] Who was the seed Keeper?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Sandra Beerman" <sbeerman@tymewyse.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Who was the seed Keeper?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2004 19:18:22 -0700

Hi, I have a question and was wondering if you all could help. In groups
through history Who was the "Seed Keeper"?
Native Americans started out as hunter-gathers but at some point in time
turned to "farming"? How about older groups? How were the future crops seed
entrusted and to who?
Any information you may have will be helpful.

The reason I ask is as I was sorting my bean seed I noticed I had not taken
care of them as I should have, Some had mold. Witch I surely would have been
able to stop if I had made sure they were exposed to more air all along.
If this was the only food for my group I be in deep trouble.
This started me thinking about the history for seed saving, and wondering
how different groups saved seed and who was in charge.
I'm not sure this has any thing to do with Permaculture but with out seed I
guess there would be no need for Permaculture.
Thank for your input. Sandie OR.