permaculture - [permaculture] Farming and Ranching Agroecology Trip to Cuba

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jeffrey Newman <jn@jnweb.com>
  • To: permaculture digest <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Farming and Ranching Agroecology Trip to Cuba
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:24:46 -0700

Somebody a little while ago was asking about agriculture-based tours of Cuba. Here's one. The only contact information I have is their e-mail - foodfirst@foodfirst.org - and their web site: http://www.foodfirst.org/

Food First Announces November Farming and Ranching Agroecology Trip to Cuba!

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

Food First, in cooperation with Global Exchange, is happy to announce an exciting Agroecological Research Delegation to Cuba from November 9 - 17, 2004.

Food First and Global Exchange, each with ten years experience leading delegations to Cuba, have collaborated in the past, notably on the historic Low-Input Sustainable Agriculture Fact Finding Delegation in 1992. That trip resulted in /The Greening of the Revolution/ published by Ocean Press in 1995. This groundbreaking book was the first announcement to the world of the extraordinary national conversion to semi-organic farming and agricultural research just beginning to flourish on the island nation of Cuba.

Lately, however, increased restrictions placed in recent months by the Bush Administration have limited opportunities for legal travel from the U.S. to Cuba. This delegation is a rare opportunity.

And what a special trip this will be! After arriving in Cuba, we will fly from Havana to Las Tunas, then drive from east to west, hosted by Cuba's pioneering organic agriculture researchers and activists as we visit agroecological farms and ranches across the island.

/Note:/ This is a research trip. Each participant will need to design a series of research questions and write a report. These reports will be compiled and edited by the organizing institutions, posted on each of our websites, and possibly published in other venues.

Program Dates November 9 - 17 (tentative - call Food First for update)

List price $2200 per person, includes round trip airfare from Cancun to Havana, all meals and hotels in Cuba, ground transportation and program, and translation.

Preparation: Participants who have not already done so are encouraged to read /Sustainable Agriculture and Resistance: Transforming Food Production in Cuba,/ available via the online book store at www.foodfirst.org/bookstore <https://commerce12.pair.com/%7Epront011/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FFB&Product_Code=0-935028-87-0&Category_Code=B>.

- Jeffrey

--

My blog: http://jnblog.typepad.com/provocations/

  • [permaculture] Farming and Ranching Agroecology Trip to Cuba, Jeffrey Newman, 09/17/2004