permaculture - [permaculture] Libraries, books, and the internet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Donna Jones" <djones@kodiak.alaska.edu>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: djones@kodiak.alaska.edu
  • Subject: [permaculture] Libraries, books, and the internet
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:08:03 -0400

I discovered Permaculture 5 years ago through a book at the library (free
to me), and was so excited that I started to buy all the books and videos
I could find. Now they are taken to groups or loaned to other individuals
to hopefully interest and excite others, so they will buy the books and
loan them out and excite others....and so on. The internet is wonderful,
but it is ephemeral, a lot of good gardeners don't use it, and don't want
to, plus there are printing costs....to someone, anyways. Limiting the
use of money is fine, and we practice it ourselves, but it is foolish to
refuse to use it for the things you really care for, instead of using it
for just things...how people choose to use money is a statement of what
they really believe and value.

You get what you pay for, and that has a double meaning. You may pay in
dollars, work, or in activities that give back. Taking resources
without paying in order to avoid work, use money for selfish objectives,
or just to avoid responsibility all are a form of stealing. Those things
which are stolen are not yours and continue to nag the conscience, and
they do not bear good fruit.

Gratitude is an essential attitude of a happy, productive life...gratitude
for those who have written, planted, taught, shared their talents are
included in this. Thank you to all those on this list who are walking the
walk and not just talking the talk.

Donna Jones, Kaluga House Permaculture Garden, Kodiak, Alaska

  • [permaculture] Libraries, books, and the internet, Donna Jones, 09/14/2004