permaculture - Re: [permaculture] hello, and a question about PCD course prices

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Graham Burnett" <grahamburnett@blueyonder.co.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] hello, and a question about PCD course prices
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 19:33:08 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Roxann Phillips" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Thursday, September 09, 2004 7:03 PM

> I agree that there is no shame in charging for our services, which
> didn't come free to us. But it doesn't change the fact that some can't
> afford it, either because of the money or time constraints. I think
> $1000 for a course of that length and depth is a very reasonable price.
> I also agree that a person doesn't need to take the course to practice
> and learn permaculture or sustainable living. One needs to do what they
> can with resources available to them, whether it means trial and error
> on their own, or taking advantage of books and teachers. In the end, we
> all benefit from practicing and learning, especially when the resulting
> knowledge is shared in any way.
>
> Roxann, NW Arkansas

Hi roxanne-

It's also about priorities- some folks say they 'can't afford' to come on a
design course, yet can afford their beers, fags, tellys and cars. Shame
they'd rather invest in the profits of multi-nationals and destructo-culture
than in their own communities or support those who are striving to make a
living outside of the destructive mainstream.

I once taught on a 'free' design course that was aimed at low-waged folks in
South London. My co-teachers and I worked for free, giving up hours of our
time and energy, plus traveling, etc, which was fine, because we wanted
permaculture to be available to poor inner city folk. I was a bit resentful
though when word went around that a 'free' design course was running and
that people clearly earning far more than I do were coming along and also
paying nothing. Now I'm learning to place more value on myself. As I said,
it's a struggle.

We charge £75 for a three day PC intro course at the moemnt which seemed
alot of money to me at first, but as our course hosts keep pointing out,
that is peanuts for what we are offering. Especially when you factor in all
the work that goes on behind the scenes before and after, eg, research,
teachers meetings, getting handouts together, dealing with enquiries,
sweating to get the numbers up to a viable level, etc, etc, and next time we
will probably put our prices up a bit higher. But we always build in
flexibility and consessions for those genuinly unable to pay the full amount
because we don't want to exclude anyone. We are always open to negtiation
regarding payment, and have yet to turn anyone away on grounds of not paying
enough. I also like the idea that the well-off should subsidise the less
well off.

Cheers Graham

---