permaculture - [permaculture] Pesticide remediation through grass ley cover

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Eric C. Atkinson" <marmotsedge@vei.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Pesticide remediation through grass ley cover
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2004 09:56:01 -0600

Greetings--

I've just subscribed to this list, so my apologies if this topic has been
thoroughly discussed previously. Here is our situation, and I'd be more
than pleased to hear some insights.

We have a 160 acre flood irrigated farm in southcentral Montana. Previous
to our acquisition, as well as through this growing season, 3 fields
totaling 82 acres have been leased to neighbors for the growing of sugar
beets (2 fields) and malt barley. Each crop has been intensely herbicided
(Stinger on beets, Curtail on barley, plus the usual and multiple (2x)
applications of Roundup) and the the beets were hit early with an
insecticide. Both the former herbicides show strong residence which puts
the stop on my planting of a mixed grass/forb pasture/hay crop (we're
moving to intensive rotational grazing for a grass-based dairy, beef, and
sheep/chickens/turkeys).

So, my questions to you are: from a point of the best method to reduce the
residual herbicides, would you suggest drilling grass mixtures in this
fall? Waiting till next spring for such a mixture, then following the next
year with interseeding of our forbs? Or let the fields rest with
mechanical (mowing) removal of weeds next summer? Any suggested cover
crops to help reduce the herbicide amounts in the soils (oats?, forage
barley?, rye?). Soil amendments? Each of the fields show characteristics
of low organic matter and few soil macroorganisms (avian point counts also
show very low diversity and abundance compared to our extant hayfields
(orchard grass, western wheatgrass, meadow brome, smoothbrome, timothy, KY
bluegrass, with red clover, Dutch clover, and alfalfa, and some common
sagewort and plantain).

For information, the soils are clayey, depleted of Ca, I believe
(quackgrass does well as do Canada thistle, field bindweed). We're
approximately zone 4 with little permanent snow cover. Most water comes
from irrigation (between mid April and mid Oct with TDS generally of 290
and pH ranging from 7.8-8.3. Precip averages 6-8" (but, not lately).

I appreciate your input.

Thanks.

Eric
Eric C. Atkinson
Marmot's Edge Conservation
Coon's Age Farm
HC 46 Box 17
Belfry, MT 59008
406-664-3155
marmotsedge@vei.net

@..@ ^'^ Working to Become
(---------) ^'^ Native to Where
( >__< ) ^'^ We Live
""" """

This message has been scanned for viruses by the VEI Internet
Automatic Email Spam and Virus Scanner, and is believed to be free of spam or
viruses.
Please report spam to spamtrap@vei.net. If you would like 98.9 % spam blocked
from your
E-mail then go to VEI Internet for details. Anti-spam/Anti-virus is FREE with
every account.

http://www.vei.net/
mailtospamtrap@vei.net

  • [permaculture] Pesticide remediation through grass ley cover, Eric C. Atkinson, 09/03/2004