permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: microturbines in urban settings

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: microturbines in urban settings
  • Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2004 15:24:42 -0400 (EDT)

I have not heard of any building - mounted wind turbine (including this
one) which has been shown to produce power at a price that competes with
wind power from sources remote from the building.

Something like this may have some limited merit as a local demonstration
that power can be obtained from the wind. Where there is grid access,
there is no other point in these little turbines. In places remote from
the grid, the most economical way to use a small turbine is to get it high
on a mast or tower, above the turbulence and low wind speeds produced by
buildings, trees, and other obstructions. Remember, the power in the wind
varies as the *cube* of the windspeed, and turbulence is very unhealthy
for turbines.

The small wind turbines of 0-10 kilowatts rated maximum power produce
power at a cost about 3 times as great as those of 300 kilowatts plus.

Among small wind turbine manufacturers there is a wide variation in
reliability, turbine life, and maintenance requirements, all things
crucial for the economic and practical success of the turbine. For some
reason this field is a magnet for scam artists, and promoters who neglect
engineering in favour of sales.

As P. T. Barnum put it, "there's a sucker born every minute", and some of
them work for governments.

If you want to trudge through the archives at
http://yahoogroups.com/group/awea-wind-home
you will find interminable discussion of these matters.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

> Hi Antonio -
>
> Here are two things to check out -
>
> www.aerotecture.com (in Illinois and Wisconsin, USA)
>
> and
>
> http://www.scotland.gov.uk/pages/news/2004/05/p_SEel336a.aspx
>
> Scottish Executive
> News Online
> Launch of rooftop wind turbine pilot
> 18/05/2004
> The first installation of a world-leading rooftop turbine took place today
> at a Fife school.
> One rooftop turbine is being installed at each of five Fife Primary
> schools in the new pilot, and if successful, the turbines could be sited
> on houses and buildings across Scotland.

[snip]