permaculture - RE: [permaculture] .hibiscus.flower.petals.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Dragon" <theWeyr@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] .hibiscus.flower.petals.
  • Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 01:37:37 -0700

Well, I know my vegetarian reptiles LOVE hibiscus flowers, although they
would probably prefer the fresh ones. Some herbivore would enjoy the vitamin
C and sweet/fruity taste. Perhaps your friend could market the dried
leftovers to a local farm supply or feed store. (If they weren't cooked with
sugar, and they will dry fast enough to avoid mildew.)

I bet the dried flowers would make a VERY stunning, colorful mulch
encircling the base of a tree! Gee, I think I'll try that. They sell a lot
of Jamaica out here in the Los Angeles area...

Oh, and don't forget the obvious, it would be a great ingredient in
Potpourri! LOL

You could wrap some in cheesecloth to make a natural dye/scent in melted
candle wax or soap. That way you can remove it before pouring into a mold.

Gee, this is fun! Best of luck with your project and kudos to your friend
for recycling!!!

---Dragon