permaculture - Re: [permaculture] solarization

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Lockamy" <garden_muse@bellsouth.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] solarization
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 19:52:49 -0400

thank you all for your thoughts on solarization and sheet mulching. i have
done small scale sheet mulching over the years, including a new herb garden
for my 15 yr. old daughter this spring, which is working wonderfully except
for the blackberry vines and bermuda grass that's starting to poke through.
i really don't want to chance these sorts of relapses in my clients urban
yard, so thought the solarizing technique would be good assurance against
intruders into the groundcover i plan to use instead of turf. so i thought
i'd incorporate mulch into the ground before spreading the planstic so any
weed seeds in it will be killed as well. i am planning to do the sandwich
as you suggested, and am also thinking about making the center higher so
that water runs off when it rains and doesn't ruin the "oven" space between
the sheets- what'dya think? our goal is a maintenance free yard with useful
plants. this is one of my first pc design customers so i want to do it
right!! i'd hate to have her come to me in 3-6 months with a weed problem!

Toby, i love your book, Gaia's Garden, it's a very important piece of work
for those of us struggling to do it right- keep up the good work!!

thanks again to all who responded,
kelly