permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Natural agriculture crop successions

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Natural agriculture crop successions
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:42:23 -0700

ontignano wrote:
Hello everyone, I wonder if there’s anyone on this list experimenting with
crop successions similar to those pioneered by Masanobu Fukuoka, I’m
thinking particularly of his rice and winter wheat or barley succession. I’m
sure there have been many North American, Australasian and European attempts
to mimic his success using different cereal and bean crops, summer: soya,
millet, sorghum, lentil, chick pea, amaranth, quinoa, maize, sunflower etc
and winter: wheat, barley, oats, rye etc over the last 20-25 years. If there
’s no first hand information, has there been a book suggesting such
combinations and the relative successes or failures? Alternatively, is there
anyone experimenting with the Marc Bonfils Method of Winter Wheat, who might
have tried some of these different crops within a clover cover crop? Is
there someone experimenting with different cover crops, especially those for
dryland conditions?

Any information or pointers to further sources would be appreciated.

To all those inspired by Fukuoka, the man and his work, there is some hope,
health permitting (he is 93), that he will be in Europe this summer to speak
at an International climate change conference. I’ll provide more details
closer to the time.

Jamie

Jamie:

There is a Fukuoka Frming mailing list on Yahoo. I have subscribed to it and
will forward your query there.
This is the posting ID for that list:
fukuoka_farming@yahoogroups.com
search Yahoo lists for "fukuoka_farming" to find the homepage and subscribe
location.

Isn't there an Amelia Hazelip list also? Do you have subscribe info.
Could you also tell us something about her life and accomplishments?

I finally got my copy of the French-made nature documentary "Microcosmos".
Wonderful.
Do you know where the film was made?

I would like to try doing something like that myself on reduced scale but
with more emphasis on
permaculture and installed permaculture systems.

Hoping to put in another small frog pool in a bottom area today. Have skid
loader on site spreading yet more rock dusts,
building berms, grading areas to be landscaped and fine tuning drainage over
a large area for garden irrigation and nutrient catchments.

LL
--
L.F.London
lfl@intrex.net