permaculture - [permaculture] attracting ethical investment?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Richard Forster" <mulchpig@hotmail.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] attracting ethical investment?
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 02:56:10 -0600

Hello everyone,
I am quite financially naieve and yet my local food co-op in Las Cruces, NM
(USA) has recently elected me to its Board of Directors.
I have discovered that we have fairly extensive debts, I gather due to a few
years of poor management several years ago. The co-op
is doing very well right now in terms of sales, but with such high interest
payments it seems like we aren't getting anywhere financially
even in spite of the good amount of trade we are doing. There are plans to
refinance with a cheaper loan, however, the loan being
sought is with a bank who it seems to me is probably going to do awful things
with the huge amount of money we give them. Seems
like there must be better organizations out there who can lend us the money.
I think our membership would probably be happy even to
pay a higher rate of interest if the organization lending our money used its
profits ethically. If I was in south east Queensland I would
get in touch with the Maleny Credit Union, but alas, here I am in the
Chihuahan desert. Does anyone here have any ideas for me as to
where I should look for ethical funds?
-Richard