permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Solar Electric Confusion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kelly Finigan" <kfinigan@spots.ca>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Solar Electric Confusion
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 22:35:55 -0700

I think there are a few issues here.

First, a quote from the paper that the NREL info refers to (Alsema 1999):

"Kato (appendix B-8) presented an overview of the work done in Japan on c-
Si, mc-Si and a-Si based rooftop systems. The analysis included the Balance
of System (supporting structure & power conditioner). The results for
(current state-of-the-art) monocrystalline-Si based systems depend on the
choice made regarding allocation of energy to off-grade silicon from the
semiconductor industry. If off-grade silicon is treated in the same way as
silicon used in the semiconductor industry, the EPBT of the rooftop system
would be 15.6 years. If no energy use is allocated to off-grade silicon, the
EPBT would be 3.9 years (at 1430 kWh/m²/yr irradiation, Performance Ratio of
0.81). "

What this means is: in the future, maybe at some point, if we do not count
the energy to purify the silcon for the cells, the payback is 3.9 years.
Currently though, it is 15.6 years.

Oh, of course, we have to add some more for the batteries (which wear out
and go to landfill or maybe can be regenerated using more energy), and a bit
more for shipping, construction and finally ripping the system apart to
remanufacture it.

Second issue: the panels generate electricity, but I suspect we need more
than electricity to make more panels - we probably need process heat and
organized energy in the form of infrastructure (to drive cars to modern,
ultra-clean factories to make the panels). Maintaining all this takes
energy. Also, every conversion of electricity into something else (e.g. a PV
factory, road, transport system) is accompanied by an (in)efficiency factor.
If the payback from the PV is even borderline, there is little left over
(especially once the electric transit bus’s fuel is accounted for) to “run”
the system to create more panels.

Seems like PV may be a pretty brief evolutionary attempt. In the big race
for “future-electricity” champion, I would bet on small hydro, biogas-
fuelled generators and rudimentary wind turbines to outlive the PV (oh, and
our old friends wood and coal). Right now, I tend to think Holmgren is right
(at least until the assumption about lower-energy-intensive silicon is borne
out).

Kelly

On Fri, 14 May 2004 08:01:43 -0700, jeff wrote