permaculture - [permaculture] Solar Electric Confusion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: jeff <jko@bsn1.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Solar Electric Confusion
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:01:43 -0700

Holgrem recently wrote about Solar electricity
and claimed it isn't energy efficient. This means
it uses too much energy to build a solar electric
system. Over the life of the system it may produce
less energy than was used in the manufacture.

In designing our site the two key measurements
were energy input and material input. There were
also some attempts to measure how well we fit as
humans and our feelings. I assumed if we did not
import anything and were happy, then this would
represent the ultimate sustainable state of being.
Of course, this is impossible because everything
on earth is interracting and connected. But, measuring
inputs did give a clue about how well our site
is working.

If we look at www.homepower.com they claim a solar
system can produce enough energy to reproduce
itself in about 2-3 years.

Who is correct? Holgram's beliefs come from work
by Odem which has been difficult for me to follow.
The data by Homepower comes from government sources
and others. They also point out that things are
changing very fast and efficiencies are improving.
Another point they make is that the alternatives to
Solar electricity are much less energy efficient.

The issue here may be "electricity". Is any
form of electricity inefficient or earth
friendly? If we want electricity, is solar generation
acceptable in Permaculture designs or should we
use wind and hydro?

I've concluded Holgrem may be on the wrong path here.
Picking on one form of energy harvesting and saying it
does not fit permaculture seems premature. Am I
missing something? Is there a better way to view this
issue?

jeff