permaculture - [permaculture] Local economies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Katherine Steele <kat@steelemoon.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Local economies
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:54:49 -0700

Promoting the idea and benefits of local economies and using them ourselves is one way of starting.
The Business Alliance for Local Living Economies (BALLE) is a great organization of peers promoting small local sustainable business. Their mission is to create, strengthen and connect local business networks dedicated to building strong Local Living Economies.
They promote Challenging county and city policies that hinder local living economies - including the tax breaks given to lure non-local companies, the land use policies that make it less expensive to locate outside of town, and the use of local business taxes to subsidize their multi-national competitors.
http://www.newrules.org/

They list other strategies for building Local Living Economies http://www.ballenetwork.org/balle/viewPage.cfm?pageId=457 and they're having their first national conference soon, May 29-31, First BALLE National Conference, Portland, OR.

I also noticed that Portland's Earth Day Celebration promotes the idea by focusing on Localization with a "Plant Yourself & Grow Together" theme. http://www.cityrepair.org/earthday/index.htm

Go Local!
~Kat
http://www.urbanpermacultureguild.org