permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fruit fly problem

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Colin Endean <kunmanara@mpx.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fruit fly problem
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:48:19 +1030

These are probably 'vinegar fly' rather than what we usually call fruit fly.
These are very fond of the 'vegie scrap' bucket and the worm farm whilst there's decaying fruit material. Attracted to the acidic decomposition?
Make sure it's not too moist and becoming anaerobic. Otherwise we've been living with a few hanging around the vermicomposting bins for the many years they've been consuming our kitchen scraps. Seems OK if they're outside. Part of the web of life, decomposing the once living matter of fruit and vegies.
Cheers
Colin