permaculture - [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 14, Issue 5

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: J Hobbs <hobbsj@efn.org>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 14, Issue 5
  • Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 09:39:14 -0800

Hello,
I have planted Seaberry or Sea Buckthorn in a Multi-Functional Hedgerow
along a waterway for a farmer in Noti, Oregon. They have been in the ground
for three years and just starting to take off. The planting area is facing
west on the edge of vegetable crop plantings-- receiving minimal overflow
watering in the summer. From what I understand they handle drought
conditions quite well.

Jude

> Today's Topics:
>
> 1. thorny edibles (seaberry) (Rain Tenaqiya)
> 2. Advanced Permaculture Ethics Course - April 23-25
> (Katherine Steele)
> 3. Re: thorny edibles (seaberry) (Jerome Osentowski)

> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 11:28:56 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rain Tenaqiya <raincascadia@yahoo.com>
> Subject: [permaculture] thorny edibles (seaberry)
> To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
>
> Hi Jude,
>
> I believed all that I read about seaberry, including the fact that part of
> its
> range is in central Asia, and planted it all over a south-facing hillside in
> an area of northern California with very hot Summers, thinking it would do
> well there and help establish a food forest. It turns out that the part of
> central Asia where seaberry grows is a lot cooler than California and my
> seaberries got fried. They actually do very well in partial shade in
> California. I would love to hear about other people's experience with
> seaberry in hot areas as overwatering could have also been part of the
> problem.
>
> Rain

  • [permaculture] Re: permaculture Digest, Vol 14, Issue 5, J Hobbs, 03/08/2004