permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Access road run-off control strategies.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Rick Valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Access road run-off control strategies.
  • Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 14:51:29 -0700

Antonio;

I was going back thru what I missed when I headed south, and found your
query.

I'd recommend frequent road bars, built of whatever is cheapest: steel,
rock, or wood. By using a foreign material they will tend to be
self-maintaining, and the runoff can feed trees. The road bars should be
placed everywhere that water *begins* to run on the road during a heavy
rain. (yes, get out there in your raingear and observe!) I usually maintain
my road access with a pick and a rake; with the sand, you'd only need the
rake. Frequent work with handtools means you don't need the bulldozer.

I'll be doing it today.

-Rick
still raining. still dreaming in Oregon