permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Alternative Food System Description

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kathy Carter-White <kathycarterwhite@earthlink.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Alternative Food System Description
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:00:11 -0600

We designed it all in group. First, over the internet with months of talk about the details. And, on the legal level, it is very minimalistic, so as to save paperwork. We even worked on ways to do things with a goal to avoiding a lot of paperwork... such as no income as the price we pay for the joy of no employee taxes and stufff. The producers take care of their own sales tax. We are incorporated as an Oklahoma Corporation ($25) but have not applied for 501(c)(3) or Coop status with IRS... we are an unincorporated association for tax purposes. It is all flow-thru, except delivery surcharge, which is actually less than actual cost so if the IRS were to characterize us as tadable entity, then our expenses would exceed payouts for travel, and still no tax to anyone. The thing you might consider is working at a very collaborative level, because as soon as "ownership" is an issue, the complexities begin. It is the living machine part that makes it possible this way. Not to say that it might not be a valuable service as a business... just that it would add a cost layer and some bookkeepping. k

Guy Koehler, Rivendell Ranch wrote:

How did you create the legal, business structure of the co-op? So far, what
you're doing matches what I want to accomplish here, but I have no idea
where to start. I'd like to have, as much as possible, the business
infrastructure questions answered before asking my neighbors to join. I
suspect they're going to ask the same questions I am now.

Guy Koehler
Rivendell Ranch
www.geocities.com/rivendell_ranch